Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Better Late Than Never - Joey guest entry

Rebecca Blog, guest entry

I truly believe that sometimes, things happen for a reason. Right now is one of those times. See, my wife has been on me about guest blogging for her unbelievable blog she has poured her heart and soul into for the past year, and I put it off longer than I should have. Shocker right, that a guy procrastinated and waited til the 11th hour to finish something? No way. Well, thank God I did because I have the angle and the conviction that I needed to do this the right way.
See, the timing was perfect with last weekend being one of our biggest weekends as parents life to date. Our oldest, Kailynn, graduated from High School. And, in the spirit of the blog, I will also use my own names, chosen with reason for those involved in my entries. As any parent that has experienced a graduation can tell you, it’s a stressful time. For a minute there, I thought that we were having the Royal Wedding at our house the way it was being cleaned, prepped and staged for the big Grad party.  But, like any big event, when the prep work is done and the hour is upon you, all you can do is sit back and enjoy the ride. Speaking personally, I decided that’s what I was going to do. So, the caterer, who some call our second home, did their part, the house was spotless, the weather was spot on, and the drinks were on ice waiting to be consumed. All we needed were the people to celebrate with. It was in that 11th hour that I realized why we were doing this. Like a wedding, the stress of the event can misdirect the reasons why you’re doing it in the first place. I wasn’t going to let that happen.  In that calm before the storm, I had a chance to reflect on what was most important. And that thing was Kailynn. Not just Kailynn, but Kailynn’s unique dynamic in how she and Rebecca shaped the landscape of our family.
For 12 years I have been blessed to be a part of something so incredible that at times, I took it for granted. I took for granted how mature she is, has been and always will be. I took for granted how we lucked out in not having to worry about her making awful decisions with drugs, alocohol, boys or school. I took for granted the time we had together watching punch drunk comedies like Napoleon Dynamite or Zoolander and then quoting them any chance we got. I took for granted the fact that come August, our baby is leaving for school and those times won’t be as readily available. And I took for granted how much I truly love her and her mom for the wonderful women they are and for all that they have overcome in their lives, respectively. This blog, at times, has not been easy for Rebecca or Kailynn to write, read, or relive. So, like many, I asked the question, “Why write it?”  I got that answer in that moment right before the party. Like a book, you can’t get to Chapter 2 without reading Chapter 1. I’m not sure what chapter we’re currently in, but I know that the previous chapters have made us all who we are, for better or for worse. And standing here today, I know that our family, Rebecca and Kailynn in particular, are definitely better. They are both strong, independent, loving, loyal and committed women who would give you the shirt off their backs in time of need. They are full of life and full of love to the point where I often (especially as I write this now) feel this overwhelming wave of emotion and pride looking at our family and our life.
We’ve been blessed in many ways over the past 10 years. We’ve been fortunate enough to travel to beautiful places, vacation as a family and live in a wonderful neighborhood surrounded by fantastic, supportive people. But, if you took it all away, I’d still have my family. I’d still have my 2 beautiful daughters, my son, my dog and my loving, beautiful wife. And you know what? That’d be fine by me. If you compare a family to a puzzle, each piece has its own unique edges and curves. It cannot fit into place without the adjacent piece in place as well. Kailynn and Rebecca are two pieces that always seem to be a lynchpin for the puzzle. Their composure, grace and unique style of leadership and support are amazing and yes, I have also taken that for granted.  I’m speechless, yes I know that’s a shocker, when I begin to take a stroll down memory lane, but what I didn’t tell you all is that this is only part one of the guest blog entries. But, it had to start somewhere. Part two will not be procrastinated, I promise. I also promise that it will be an entertaining stroll with many laughs and maybe a few tears. And it will all start at Lakota High School when I met the love of my life in between classes during my junior year of high school. To be continued……….

My confession:

There are times in life that are beyond comprehension. The death of a loved one, or an awful life occurrence. It’s tough to understand why or how, but that is simply a road leading you to a destination that you never dreamed of. I confess that Rebecca and I both had those moments in life that we didn’t understand at the time, but led us where we are. We have a great God that simply asks us to have faith in his plan. And although we would have preferred to reach our destination with less pain and strife, we have been blessed to end up where we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment